Sunday, September 13, 2009

Reflection

Reflection. It can be an image found in a mirror, or something that shows the depth of your character, but today I am reflecting about my children.

As children grow they leave imprints on your heart. They leave imprints on your mind and in your soul. A child's love is deep, yet so simple. They love you despite all of your faults and they forever surprise you with their ideas, talents, and comments. When I'm having a difficult time, I simply pull out a memory from my pocket and laugh and smile. It is beautiful.

As a mother, I look my special children and pray the Lord is teaching me how to guide and how to teach them. I reflect on some of the brilliantly inspired parenting moments that we have had, and I ponder about the debotched parenting moments. What have I learned? OUR brilliant moments occur when I am doing the simple things: personal prayer, scripture study, thinking of others, and praying for others. When are the debotched moments? When I am impatient, hot tempered, or self obsorbed in one of my silly problems.

Children will help you to be a better person. They see the potential that Heavenly Father sees. I feel that children have an eternal perspective of who we are as parents. How many dads have ever been told that they are their children's heros? How many mommys have been told that they are the most loving person they've seen. Praise from a child is something to live up to. I think that it is a way that Heavenly Father has for us to get off our pitty pot and to gain an eternal perspective.

This week I vow to live the simple commandments: think of others, pray for others, read scriptures, take time to listen and to see what my children are doing, what they need, and what they are saying.

That is my Sunday Reflection...What will your reflection be about?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi cousin
how are you feeling these days?

That is a pretty tall order of things to do this week but it is better to aim high and reach as much as you can, huh?

Anyway, last week my anger was out of control for some reason. I went from 0 to 60 in 3 seconds. So this week, I'm trying to check my temper and reaction to thing. It's not necessarily "spiritual", but I'm sure God would be proud of me keeping my anger in check.

April said...

Shannan you amaze and make me smile. Thanks for that. You made my day.