Sunday, May 13, 2012

Garden Investments

 Well, it was time to go to boxes.  Out here in the Foxboro, we have a hug battle on our hand: KLAY soil, no nutrition, and BUGS, BUGS, BUGS!  I have a better appreciation for our for-fathers...
 Rhetten and mom checking out our plants.  Yes, I buy the plants and never plant by seeds.  hum, why?  patience...it is not one of my gardening virtues, but we are trying.
 Scott and mom came up with the design: 6' by 5'' by 5/8 thick fencing planks, 2X2 pickets, weed barrier, pea gravel, bug killer, screws, 36 bags of raised bed soil, and a lot of hard work.  Scott was the main cut-guy, but Kellis and Isaac also took their turn at it.  Then Scott created the jig, and Kellis went to town!  He assembled 6 boxes, hauled bags of soil, laid weed barrier, and but down pea gravel.  It was beautiful!

Isaac helped cut the grass...he need a bit more tutoring than last year, the girls helped plant my flowers, and Marianne supervised all of us.  Rhetten was kept busy by Garrett (who also helped stack and haul lumber), and Margaret kept us all entertained...she sang as we worked.  Ah...what a long Saturday, but it all turned out great in the end.  Just see for yourself.

Tomatoes, peppers, and marigolds...oh my!


Flowers in the front.  I love to welcome the neighbors with pots of flowers.  Here is to a happy growing season!!

1 comment:

Jess said...

Congrats on the raised beds! I just planted one to start this year, but it's a big one! 4x8. I'm excited to see how it turns out. We have soil similar to yours and it just doesn't grow things well. I buy plants too, even peas this year. But I did buy lettuce, corn, and squash seeds (Yellow, zucchini, and pumpkin). Got everything planted, just have to water and wait!