Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Education Games

Education Games:  This is a dream that I had this morning.
Picture the scene: a hill; at the top of the hill a large parking lot with painted lines and many children running towards different lines.  At the bottom of the hill a "curiosity shop" (a store filled with nick-knacks and oddities). where all the teenagers age 14-18 and the adults are made to "wander around" looking around kind of window shopping.

Second: a bell rings and at the signal of this bell adults, children and teenagers must run to get in line in order to be educated for the day.  If you are fast runner, then you are going to get a great education...if the leader of the line accepts your scores from the previous day.  Adults are allowed to carry one child to a line, but they must make it before the ending bell signals all stop for the day.  Adults are also allowed to be a "tutor" at the school for 1/4 pay. 

Third: the children who have not been able to make the line up more than two days in a row are NEVER allowed to return to school.  They are put on a working track that will never allow you to change out.   

Fourth: Once you have won your race to the line up and have been selected the judges come and make sure that you are in your best dress and uniform for what you can afford.  If you look like you have not put in an effort, then you can be yanked from the line.  Remember you only get two changes at the line up and if you miss more than twice you are never allowed back into education.

Now that the background of the dream has been laid out...let me share with you the experience I had:
I was at the curiosity shop milling around waiting for the bell to ring.  I was reflecting on the day that Garrett was pulled from the line up and was never allowed back in.  It was a dark day for me and it surfaced each morning I stepped into that shop.  I look over a pile of Books and I see Kellis there.  He is dressed and ready for make his run for it.  I wink at him and just keep milling around.  Isaac, Margaret, and Virginia are up on the upper parking lot wandering around getting ready for their line up...I'm trusting their speed to help them to win a line and to keep them educated. 

Just before the sound of the bell I glance up and notice that Kellis is outside of the shop trying to get back in but a man is not allowing him back in.  My heart stops!  I know this man...he is someone who is deliberately not going to allow Kellis back in.  I see the man inject something into Kellis and then I watch Kellis walk back into the store in a daze.  Suddenly the bell rings and I give Kellis a pleading glance to RUN...he is stuck in a fog and can't run.  I am going frantic inside but I just plead with him to RUN!!  I on the other hand have to run to the upper lot so that the other children can still have a chance.

Suddenly I'm there at the top of the hill racing from line to line making sure that my kids made it: Margaret did.  She is happy because she won the line and she can be a leader.  My heart sores for her.  I run and run and I find Isaac barely getting into the line...third from the last.  I sigh, but then frantically search for Virginia...she is pushing and pushing and trying and trying to find the last line and suddenly, the man from the shop, appears and grabs her arm!  I stretch out and scream...then I wake up...

Meaning:  I will fight for my kids to be educated and I'll do what it takes to make sure that they are getting what they need individually...

1 comment:

Jess said...

wow, that is a very detailed dream! I'm lucky if I even remember what mine are about. you can assure yourself that you are doing everything you can to make sure your kids get the education they are entitled to. If only every kid could have a parent like you! Keep up the good work!!