Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's...Then and Now

Hum...Valentines...it is a day that is very memorible in my heart.  I have one of the saddest stories about this day and then one of the best....

Do you want to hear the saddest valentine's story? I was separated from my first husband, pregnant, and very poor. I thought that I would treat myself to an ice-cream cone from Farr's...I searched for every spare penny in the house--it took three days, two parking lots, and I ended up taking 4 cents from my boy, but I found $1.12. I thought...that has to be enough.

I dropped the kids off at the free babysitting night that was down the canyon (at the time I lived in Huntsville--30 minutes east of Ogden) at Garrett's school. (Northern Utah Autism Program).  I thought that I would treat myself to a solo date and I went to RC Willey's just to be in a warm place filled with beautiful things...it reminded me of when we had the furniture store.  I needed something of Grandma and Grandpa to be with me.  I needed a little love from them and their memories helped that night.  I spent an hour there, looking, sitting, and thinking.  It was wonderful...until...

I went to the Ice cream shop (Farr's).  I  pulled up (looked at how much gas I had used and thought, I still have enough to get me through the week).  I walked in and just smelled the familiar smell of sugar, cones, and paper.  I told the clerk what I wanted and I picked out my favorite ice cream. They rang me up and the cost was $1.17. I pulled out my money and just stared at the ice cream. Stared at the ice-cream and back at the money. I was short by 5 cents...I had to walk out the store...the poor clerk was still clutching the ice cream cone and just looking at me.  I looked back over my shoulder and just started to allow the pain spill out of my eyes and onto my checks...

I just sat in my beater blue van and cried.  Since my kids were at a valentine's free baby sitting night,  I just sat in the dark, in the cold, in front of the shop for an hour until it was time to pick them up. That was one of darkest nights of my life...symbolism everywhere...anyway, that was my lowest moment of my life.

BEST Valentines:
It had to be last year...Scott and I went to the Anniversary Inn and celebrated our one year Anniversary (two months early...we knew that baby was coming and that well can do much of that after a baby...ahemmmm).  Anyway, we went to dinner, talked, made future plans, and wondered about this little darling in my tummy.  What was he/she going to look like, act like, and so forth...it was just a wonderful conversation.
The night was well...private, quiet, and just lovely.   Mostly, I had a valentine...I had someone to pamper me, think of me, and love me...sorry but sometimes that is critical.  Anyway, the following day we went to the Temple...did I say that this was the best?  I was with my two favorite people: my Hubby and with the Spirit of the Lord. 

What can I say?  I am a simple person and these two things made my whole day...month...well it has carried me for a while.  I love my Hubby, my new baby, my conversations, my family, going to the temple, and just being in places where I feel so loved.

It is quite the contrast (the two stories)...it gives me perspective...and that is priceless.  Happy Valentine's everyone.  Loves to you!

4 comments:

Neisy said...

April...you've made my heart melt. I love you

Jess said...

so glad you found a good Valentine. Love you both!

Unknown said...

Hi April -
I disabled my FB account - I was planning on explaining why on my blog but until then, you can email me or call me anytime. Do you still have my numbers? I sent an email to the only address I have - it is an april flitton email address. Let me know and we'll talk!!

April said...

I have an updated e-mail...I'll search for your number. I know that I have it. Thanks for getting back to me. I need a perspective right now. Thanks.