Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Garrett and Church new expectations

In thinking about how to help my family learn of the Gospel, my mind kind of goes into a checklist type of setting.  I think about things like, have I covered this topic?  Have I explained that topic?  Have I shared my testimony about the Savior?  Can you feel love in the home when you enter?  Does home feel like a special place?  Many questions...well one question popped up and it happened on a Sunday...

During the 5th Sunday meeting I watched how Garrett sat off to the side of the group.  I watched how he just looked at his books and didn't really care about anything that is going on in church.  Since he is "quiet" he really isn't bothering anyone, he just sits on his own, but no one really asked, or encouraged him to be a part of the group.  Now, with that being said, I know that encouraging Garrett is a challenge because of his Autism:  1) he likes to be by himself, 2) he doesn't like to be touched, 3) he is more interested in his books then the gospel and so forth.

However, looking at the new curriculum that the Church is going to be using with the youth and really focusing on learning and teaching as the Savior did, the Spirit really spoke to me on Sunday.  I felt an understanding of how, if the Savior walked into that meeting, he would have just pulled a chair beside Garrett and started interacting with him. Granted, the Savior knows Garrett and understands how he feels, why he acts as he does and so forth.   But, I just was stunned and just sat there looking and looking at my son.  I felt a new impression that, "Garrett is important and needs to learn more about me." Again stunned silence at the impression.... I thought, "how? How do I help him "learn"--participate--more during Priesthood and Sunday school to learn about You, without him throwing a tantrum or having a bad attitude?  How do I teach Garrett the new routines and what is expected of him, as well as help train and help his teachers so that they can also "encourage" him to participate?"  The Spirit whispered back, "give Garrett a responsibility and a routine...by small and simple things are great things come to pass." 

So, wow, my heart was just overwhelmed by the "how" of doing this because "doing" this is going to cause growing pains on both ends.  But the Spirit spoke so clearly that he was to have "a routine and a responsibility".  I'm praying and fasting right now to figure what that might look like.  What I need are some ideas of routines that the quorum does, and to help give the boys in the quorum a "calling" of loving and accepting Garrett's differences, forgiving of his outburst or anger, and highlighting his talents.   Again following this thought, silence...pondering...reflection...

If Garrett does not have a standard set or expectations given of him, how will he learn of the priesthood, more about his Savior, or about the atonement?  Silence...then that all wonderful guilt...(why is it when I'm trying to get to an answer that Satan starts his depressing, "doubt" assault???).  So in that reflecting I acknowledge that I am also at fault for not expecting more from Garrett when it comes to growing his testimony...looks like the only thing I can do is ask for forgiveness for that and set out our expectations or hopes for Garrett.

Now comes the important part about how to accomplish this task of encouraging Garrett to participate, feel the Spirit, and feel of the Love of his Savior during church.  I know that it is not based on a timeline exactly (for example, I'm not saying things like, "by the time he is 14 he should be doing this or that--like passing the sacrament"), more like Garrett should know about the love of God and how as a young man he can serve and love his fellow quorum, ward, and family members. 


Small steps...small drops in the bucket...line upon line...this is my new perspective on how to better encourage (which is a word that I really love!) on how to feel the Spirit.  For me, the most important work that I will ever do is to teach my family about a loving Heavenly Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and about how their love will help them get through anything.  Baby steps....

No comments: