Thursday, March 11, 2010

Phone calls and Perspective training...We all learned that night!

For Family Home Evening we thought that it would be a good idea to teach the children how to use the phone: how to answer it, how to get people on the phone, and how to say that someone is busy. Part one worked out GREAT! Part two was about dialing out: how to push all the numbers so that you can make a phone call. There is no 911 stories with this...but there is a story...
(I'm in a tub relaxing Scott is helping to get Kellis to Scouts and comes in a checks on me)
Isaac (he dials grandpa's number): "Hello?"
Grandpa: "Hello, hello?"
Isaac (he holds the phone out to all the other kids and they start screaming)
Grandpa: "What's wrong? Hello?"
Isaac: CLICK! (hangs up on Grandpa)
***No repeat this story 8 times.

Ring Ring (This time it is Grandpa to Scott)
Grandpa: "hello? what's going on at home? Isaac keeps calling me....)
Scott: (long conversation laughter and clarification) "We will talk to Isaac. It looks like the FHE was a hit."

Scott is off to scouts with Kellis.
Scott calls home....
Virginia: "hello?"
Scott (imagine a southern accent): Hello, who is this?
Virginia: "Virginia"
Scott:"can I talk to Maggie?"
Virgina passes it to Maggie.
Maggie: "hello?"
Scott: "Hi there. can I talk to Isaac?"
Maggie passes it to Isaac.
Isaac: "Hello?"
Scott: "hi there. This is Sam T Pickett. I'm from the phone company."
Isaac (swallows hard): "yes?"
Scott: "I understand you've been making a lot of phone calls.
Isaac: "yes?"
Scott: "well I have a phone bill here for $3672.87"
Isaac (whimpers and chocked voice...even some tears...) "uh hu"
Scott: "well how are you gonna pay for that?"\
Isaac (more whimpers and tears): "I don't have that money."
Scott (he can tell that this has gone too far and so now he is trying to back peddle and figure out how to work this out. He thought that when Isaac was crying that he was "joking". Scott is learning how literal the kids are and when they cross the line...: "uh...well, we just wanted to talk to you and let you know that we will take care of the bill. Don't worry, just try not to make so many calls...k?"
Isaac: "ok (will sobs and whimpers)
Scott: "it will be okay. we will forgive ya. Don't worry about it. K? We'll see you later."
Isaac: "ok...bye..."

Mom is now out of the tub and I'm looking at Isaac and he looks like he has been to a funeral...
Mom: "what's wrong?"
Isaac (in his most stoic voice) "well I made some calls and the phone company said I had to pay $3000 but then they said that it would be forgiven." (lets out a big breath...)
I look right over to Scott and he is beat red and gives me the look like I'll tell you later...
I give him the look like, "you better be able to fix this..."

Turns out that Isaac learned how to dial all the family numbers (that's good).
Isaac also learned that playing on the phone is not the best past time (that's bad).
Scott learned where the LITERAL line is with the kids (that's good).
Kellis got to listen to the whole conversation (he was in the truck going to scouts) and he understood the joke (that's good).
Mom can't believe it and yet is laughing too (that's bad)

Moral: Autism Spectrum Disorders and Literal language can create a joke that no one ever thought of...

3 comments:

Jess said...

is it weird that the main thing I focused on was the fact that you were soaking in the tub? Good job, feels so good!!

We need to do the whole phone and door communication lesson here too.

PLBecks said...

I soooo love reading your kid stories. What a wonderful thing to have all these great moments written down. I laughed for so long about this. April, your cheerful attitude is such a wonderful thing. You amaze me. (I think it runs in the family for Tribe sisters :-)

heidiram said...

I'm sorry . . . but I am CRACKING up over here.