Monday, July 2, 2012

My first 5 K


 My first 5K...well actually I thought that I was going to just help Scott with Jukebox sound...I did, and then, well....I just got an itch and thought, WHY NOT?  It was truly an inner battle of "you are not ready...you're not fast...you're not a runner, and well...you'll be crossing over to the DARKSIDE....
 Flags and decorations at the finish line...

 All the helpers...registration...ah cute...my prego neighbor...just all the registration.
 My pre-race pose...nice right?  Thought I should show off or at least have my last picture before I died...No I did great for my first time:  I started with a 10:34 pace and mile one, after I heard the timer say my split time I picked up the pace and started marking other runners to pick off one by one (no offense).  Then at mile 2 I heard my time and subtracted it and I was at a 9 minute pace....WOW!  I did my best to kept it up and kept on running and picking off more and more runners....then I saw the finish line and I I let it fly!!  Well, ok, I at least looked like I was trying...and I ended the race at 29:29.  WOW!  I ran faster then I thought!  my pace averaged to 9min 30 sec...GREAT!  I was happy about it.  And so...the championship pose is worth it.  Thanks for the support of family.  It turned out great!






 Here I am at the start...go, go, go !
 Kellis at the finish line...GO GO GO!!  He was 5th in his age group.  66th overall.  Ran a 7.30pace mile and a 24.32 race!  Way to GO!

 Here I come...TRYING to sprint the last 100 yards....


 YEAH!!  I think I look a little like Weeze, ok, like shorter, but the running stride looks similar.
 Me and Kellis!  TWO WINNERS!! Long story short:  I will run more 5K's....any longer then that....well I'm going to have to be 40+ to decide that.  Really, it was fun to look at a runner who was a head of me and set a quick goal and then pass them...the competitor in me was loving that, but the time to train for longer runs...it just isn't in the cards...yet.  I'll set a goal for that in my 40's, but for now, 5K...Bring them on.  Thanks for a full decade of inspiration from my two sisters....it paid off in the end.  Thanks again!

 Kellis and his friends from school, church and the neighborhood.  It is great to see all the cool friendships that he has.  This is the best place to raise kids...I love it! 


1 comment:

Jess said...

wow! congrats! I have an idea tickling the back of my mind to do the Richfield 4th of July 5k next year when I am there for my 20 year reunion. When I walk I average about 11:30 per mile, so running might be a bit faster. I will really need to talk myself into it though because I have never liked running. You are an inspiration!