Wednesday, November 5, 2008

An eye opening experience

Yesterday during socail studies I was teaching my 5th graders about the constitution. I was teaching them about the triangle which is the executive branch, the judicial branch and the legislative branch and how they all have checks and balances on each other.

I asked the class who was in charge...they all said the president.
No
What???
No!
Why??? that is the most important office...
No!!!
silence...I simply wrote "we the people" inside the triangle.
A gasp...from a parent who was visiting my class.
My heart dropped. He really had been answering the same answers as the kids.
I had to gather my shock and say to the class...
The People are in charge!!!
We elect the congress.
We elect the President
We influence it all...WE are in Charge!

Do you all see what removing the truth out of schools over the past 40+ years has done? There are two generations of ignorant citizens that don't know what power they really have. This is why we are in the mess we are in...entertainment, distractions, no education about history and what the constitution really is...it is a primrose path...then it slips into the slippery slope.
Hang on tight gang!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So we all stay home and homeschool? :)

Hazen5 said...

Very well said, can I send my kids to you to teach?

How are you April, it was so good to hear from you! I am linking you!