Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Home School

There are perks to teaching at a school with your own children. One of those is when I have the opportunity to teach my own child within my classroom. I teach Kellis during Language Arts and our Reading Explorations unit. Here is what happened:
Captain: who can tell me what past tense is?
Kellis: you have to put a suffix like ed on it.
Captain: good. Who can tell me what present progressive, past progressive, and future progressive tense are?
Class Silence--but Kellis with his hand up
Captain: Kellis can you help us out?
Kellis: Past progressive is was and were with the ing--like She was walking. Present progressive is like it is happening now or something like I am walking, and future progressive is the one that has the little word "will" with it. Like Tomorrow I will be walking...
Captain: (inside her heart popping like a batch of popcorn!!!) Very good. Did anyone wrtie down those free answers? Kellis just finished your worksheet for you...
Student # 2: I did--I hate to think
Captain: (to herself--yep that's right) Well...he just gave you some free-bees. Thanks Kellis for following the first time directions and right along with Captain. It was like the old home school days.
Student # 5: you never homeschooled! That's impossible.
Captain/KEllis: we sooo did.
Kellis: it was the best I got 4 recesses!
whole class: OHHH! No Fair!
Captain: I need listening bodies in 5 - 4- 3- 2- 1. What it past tense...

These are the moments when a mother must have a shout out! Love you Kellis!

2 comments:

Jess said...

that's awesome! what a smarty pants you have. must have a great teacher or somethin. I didn't know you homeschooled, I bet you didn't know at the time that you'd be teaching at a school someday. thanks for all you do. I know my Connor is in good hands.

Unknown said...

I always considered myself good in English, but holy cow, progressive and past progressive??? maybe I need to stop by your class