Sunday, May 2, 2010

Challenged!

Last night at the adult session of our Stake Conference we were challenged to read the Book of Mormon by November. That's an average of 2 1/2 pages per day. I was stopped. In order to explain, I have to give some back ground.

As a church we were challenged in 2005 by our Prophet, Gordon B Hinckley, to read the Book of Mormon. At that time in my life I had gone through a separation, gotten back together, had my 5th baby and was praying and pleading for a way to keep the family together. I felt that this was a direct answer to prayer. We (my former husband and I) talked about it. We decided to do it. We would read to the kids at night for hours. We traded turns. I felt the truth of the book, I felt the Spirit confirm many things. It was powerful and wonderful. I felt the changing power come over our family. It was a miracle. It lasted up until December of 2005. But soon after that (about 3 weeks) the power of strength and love started to fade...it was gone. Things in the marriage went back to the way it was before the challenge--sigh .

I remember thinking about that. Pondering over that, wondering why didn't it help to heal our family. I honestly felt slapped in the face. I felt hurt. I felt that the promise was not granted to our family. My heart was broken, I was sad...the year of 2006 went from bad to worse...

So from that experience it has been a challenge for me to read any of the scriptures. I felt betrayed, hurt, I couldn't feel the full power of God through the written word. This has been very hard for me, something that I allowed to dam my path. Well, like anything else, I just plug along reading mostly out of duty. There were days of spiritual highlights, but not constant.

So, back to the challenge...I will read the Book of Mormon by November 2010. I will make up the days if I miss any and I will read it. I need a kick in the pants and this will do it. I'm in a new situation, a new stake, and new ward, and well, sometimes a change is good. If Anyone wants to take part of this challenge let me know...I'd love to hear about your progress. So, I'll check in and monitor my progress through out the next 6 months. Excited? YES, Nervous? YES! WEll, here we go!

2 comments:

Neisy said...

April, I started reading the BOM on a regular schedule years ago, trying to have those promises and blessings apply to my life. It has been a huge blessing to me...but I hear ya...sometimes you have to "struggle" in the spirit. Anywho, that has been about 8 years ago and I have read it every year since! I promise it will become so much a part of you that you will hear the words in your head in everyday conversations! I am right now at the beginning of Alma...(need to get going to finish by november) so I am there with you babe! You are definitely headed in the right direction....and couldn't we all use the blessings?!
I love you!

Velvet Gwyneth said...

Ok April I am up for your challenge. When I moved to my new ward they were just starting to read it by Conference and I felt I couldn't commit to it; so here I. Tho I am a week behind you I will join you.