Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Love of Children

Hiking in Ogden along the foothill trail.  Isaac jumping the creek, Kellis showing how it is done, Garrett checking for trolls, Margraet wishing she could swim, and Virginia doing the Egyption...love these kids!  They all went on the hike for my Birthday present.
Children, especially mine, have given me a perspective of love that I would have never understood or grown to accept, or love without the experiences that I've been blessed to witness.  I think what blows my mind the most is how forgiving my children are to all of my mistakes.  They are willing to forgive my yelling, my rolling eyes, my "pecking or hounding" of "pick up this, clean up that, did you get your homework finished, we will do it and you will be the one to finish it...". 

They are even willing to forgive my anger and my frustration.   Even children you are neglected, abused, and verbally put down...they still love...and try deeply to keep loving those who hurt them. Why are they so willing to do that?  Why are the able to do so?  Are they just born with it, or do they just desire to be loved that they will over look all the follies?  It really amazes me.  I watch adults who, if they have the slightest grievance against them, they will hold the grudge for decades.  Why not the children then--why don't they hold onto the same grudge?  What makes them so different? 

I can answer it, "be humble like a child." But, why doesn't that always stick in my heart and mind?  All I know is that I am so humbled, feel a little guilty, and mostly awed when (even after I've yelled or been upset or frustrated) Margaret will hug me at night and say, "you are the BEST mommy ever!  I just blink, sigh, feel a little panged, and hug her back hoping that hug will express my acceptance of her love and willingness to forgive.  I hope to learn this pattern more and more with my students, the adults I work with, and own children.  If there is one thing that I learning from this is that I'm going to live to be 110 so that I have enough time to learn it.  One step at a time right?  yep...one step at a time... :)

No comments: