Sunday, May 17, 2009

Friends...Long Lasting!

Scott in all protective gear! "I wonder what it feels like to get hit with a paintball?"
My Hero!

Garrett loved painting the bird house with the paintball gun.


Kellis on the hike! He was very proud to be with me.

Virgina strikes a pose and Isaac brings it back to reality.

Here is a portion of the gang: Doug, Brad, Kent, Brad, Scott. Missing Gordan and Krissy, Liese, and Beverly (and a few kids)

Hiking! AHHH!!!

Kellis shooting the arrow. Note: the Anxious Isaac beagging for more turns

Veiw from the hike!

Dinner at the Falls! This was the kids playground.
Yesterday we went to Park City to meet up with all of Scott's life time friends. WE meet spouses, children, and enjoyed reconecting. Brad and Krissy were such gracious hosts. The food was wonderful: cookies were a big hit, gilling salmon burgers...another hit, all the pies, chips and different kinds of salsa and dip...and the best strawberry and mixed green salad I ever ate! Delicious.
Kids climed up and down the waterfall or the "adventure" as they all called it. Finally the two boys pulled with chairs up to the top of it and ate their dinner. Then out came the archery sets! the kids got to shoot arrows, and practice hitting the target. They also got to practice hitting targets with a paintball gun. They had a blast. The "hunting" session lasted for about 2 hours. Not a bad way to keep 15 kids entertained. Some of us even got to shoot....too fun. Dead eye Giauque (that's me) hit 5 for 5 cans off the box. Best comment of the evening: "you'll know twice not to cross your wife...she's a dead-eye". Thank you very much. See dad all those trips to the west desert hunting rabbits and pheasant paid off.
Funniest moment: Scott getting all the gear on and having Brad shoot the paintball gun at him. "I just want to know how it feels". Hysterical! Tough? yes, Painful? Yes. Do it again? NO! Too funny...just check out the picture.
Best Hike: I haven't been hiking in two years. This is a deep passion of mine, but I don't talk about it much becuase I haven't done it enough that it hurts my heart...sigh! So last night towards the end of the party, Krissy announces a hike right up the back yard and into the hills. My heart lept at the chance to be in the mountains. (Some of you know that I spent 5 weeks in England, Scotland, and Wales, hiking all up and down the high county, lake district, and on every mountain and hilllside we could get our feet on. The journey was transendental, the feeling, spiritual, and I brought back from those mountains understandings of my Heavenly Father that I never knew I could know...this is why it is such a spiritual thing for me.) The hike was lovely!
Best Dad move: "I'll stay here and watch the girls." Thanks! I really needed to head up that mountain."
Friend Connection: Liese waited for me to go up the hike! Thanks so much for that. WE really need to get Aaron and Kellis together so that they can have the boy time together. Beverly was so wonderful to talk to about what she does, her children and eating yummy cookies! Go oat and whole wheat flour. YUM! Krissy, what a great host. In desperation of trying to find a dinosaur book she allowed me into the "real life" (looking through all the bedrooms) of her life..thanks! I can't wait to do it again. Let's go camping.
A day and an evening to remember: This is one of those weekends that is a pivot point. It was something that helped us to connect, recommit, and pursue the interests that bring the true joy of life into perspective. Great times were held by all.
Clarification: After talking, thinking, praying, I have been inspired with a way to keep all of the new friendships, old friendships, school friend ships, church friendships, and so forth into my thoughts and commitments: 4 weekend a month; 1) family oriented (do something with the immediate family), 2) Friendship oriented (do an activity with a couple or a group of couples), 3)Projects--these are the weekends when life just has to take place: clean out the garage, fix cars, home improvements etc., and 4) a free weekend: could be with more family, a date night, a friendship weekend, or another project. This simple understanding can help me to be a better friend, and a better person becuase others will be in my thoughts before me being in my thoughts.

No comments: