Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day...and a Father's Blessing

Mother's Day... a day when children and husbands love and adore their wife and mothers. For me, this mother's day was different. It started on Saturday. Scott told the kids that they were going to go and pick out a mother's day gift. Scott asked me to come along so that I would be able to select just what I wanted. I was so touched. He was thinking of me...thinking of actually getting me something. (To be thought of by your husband on such a day was a little new for me).

We bought flats of flowers, veggies, and then a truck full of mulch. Then the children, Hubby, grandma Sue, and I set to work on getting the garden ready. So beautiful...so fun to see how everyone helped. Maggie-Sue first picked any tulip that was left in the garden...she sent about making bouquets for both she and her sister. Kellis helped to unearth the bulbs, weed his tree garden (after a few tears), and get the mulch with dad. Garrett helped by picking out the flowers and dodging bees, "April, they are after me!" Isaac played on the trampoline and kept Virginia happy, and Virginia followed me towards the end of the day with a little spade in her hand tilling in the mulch...so cute!

Sat...check off that the Mother's day garden was in...and let the growing begin!
Sunday...wake up, fix breakfast, prep for dinner, and then go enjoy church. (I was so realized at church that I actually fell asleep...oops! But I was very happy.) Before we left for Church, Isaac and Garrett gave me their present, "Mom, me and Garrett are not going to fight--that's you present!" That was so sweet... Next the girls came downstairs all dressed in their church dresses...another gift. Kellis promised that he was going to keep watch over all. Great kids, great gifts.

After church and a little later in the evening we all enjoyed a BBQ. Scott is "Master of the Flame!" and so he was cooking for dinner. All cooked, all guest arrived, and so let's dig in. Great conversation, love shared by all, and enjoyed by everyone. Hours pass and so many must depart.

Scott and I went to attend a viewing. Scott's nephew passed away due to complications of brittle bone syndrome...tears...sadness, yet joy to know that he is out of pain and now is surrounded by the love of his Heavenly Father in Celestial glory. The baby lay there, still, an empty shell, but the room was filled with so many who loved him that peace was the feeling and love was hugging that little family. Family, always record each day with at least one hug, kiss, and an I love you...we never know when they will be called home.

Back at home, sad feelings, but filled with love and peace from the night. Children still need tucking in. Garrett asks what is wrong, and I share the story. He cries instantly, "the poor little baby. April you make me sad when you say it" I am about to reply, when Kellis takes the teaching moment and says, "Garrett, the baby is with Jesus and Heavenly Father. Don't cry. I have a theory, the baby will know the fullness of the gospel because he died before the age of 8. So, don't cry, it is okay." I was filled with peace that Kellis knew so much and testified to his two brothers.

Ten minutes later after scriptures were read, and kids all in jammies, little Margaret enters. "I can't sleep." (As a side note: Margaret had a rough Sunday. She hurt her sister several times throughout the morning and finally after the third seat away, I took her into the bathroom and she said, "My brain hurts! I have two sides of it. I hear two things." My heart skipped, I told her to always pick the Jesus side. She looked at me with longing eyes. I told her that I would help her).

Back to 8pm Sunday night: I asked Margaret Susanna if she would like to have a blessing. She said that she would. Scott came in and gave her a father's blessing. As he placed his hands on her head the love that was felt earlier in the night was felt again. She sat so still, and was so quiet...Heavenly Father told her that He was very aware of her, to not be afraid, and to call upon Jesus to help her when she was sad and angry. I felt so honored and blessed to hear such words. Maggie then said, "thanks, dad." My heart was bursting...I laid her down again, and told her to sleep, just sleep. She settled in, closed her eyes, and was drifting into sleep with in minutes (if anyone knows our sleeping patterns--this is the miracle).

It was the most fitting way to end a Mother's Day. I witnessed so many levels of peace and love. I was given an opportunity to love my children, help one who was struggling, grieve for a little baby yet feel peace in knowing that he is in a better place, hear my son bare his testimony, and witness the priesthood help a little girl who was scared to find peace and rest for the night. No comparisons. This will always be a Mother's Day that I forever remember.

1 comment:

Hazen5 said...

Happy Mother's Day! I am so glad you have Scott to take care of you on special days like this. But, I know your kids do a great job too.